Lose weight. Enjoy life to the fullest. Stay fit and healthy. Spend more time with family. According to the research institute Statistic Brain, these are four of the top 10 New Year’s resolutions people make. Do they sound familiar?
Crimson Hexagon, a social media analysis firm, notes that 46 percent of Americans who made resolutions have vowed to exercise more and be healthier. Easier said than done? Not at our Sonida Senior Living communities across the nation. We want to help you succeed in not just making your goals for 2020 but in exceeding them with pride.
By setting attainable objectives along with action steps on how to reach them at a comfortable pace, you will set yourself up for another happy and healthy year. For example, rather than just saying you are going to lose 15 pounds, add a few ways on how you plan to achieve that benchmark: Eat only one dessert a week; order vegetables instead of french fries at lunch; buy new tennis shoes to get excited about exercise; etc.
Let’s take a look at the above resolutions and show you how we can help:
Lose weight/stay fit and healthy
Sonida Senior Living communities have a multitude of ways for you to reach your goal fitness goals.
- If your community offers wellness, walking, balance and exercise classes, attend a few each week to ease into making it part of a regular routine. If you prefer to work out on your own, our exercise rooms are the perfect place to focus your energies.
- Get out several times a week, when the weather allows, and take a stroll around the well-maintained grounds and landscaped courtyards. Walk with a neighbor or friend to make the journey even more enjoyable.
- Our talented chefs cook up an array of healthy meal options each day. Challenge yourself to enjoy a garden salad at lunch rather than a hamburger or cheeseburger, or choose the sugar-free options available for dessert when offered.
Enjoy life to the fullest
Whether it means taking part in the many social, educational and recreational programs offered in your community or taking advantage of courtesy transportation to get out and enjoy many of our community organized excursions, you have plenty of feel-good activities to choose from.
- Pick up a good romance novel or murder mystery from the well-stocked library in your Sonida Senior Living community and transport yourself from the real world to a fictional land for an hour or two a day.
- Challenge a neighbor or friend to a card or board game in the activity center. Or, even better yet, start a weekly group that meets to socialize and play games.
- Many of our communities have onsite beauty salons/barbers where you can get a new look, change your hair color or simply get a little trim – because looking good on the outside also makes you feel good on the inside.
Spend more time with family
Invite your loved ones over to enjoy some time in your home and around your Sonida Senior Living community.
- Private dining options are available at many of our communities and offer the ideal place to hold a grandchild’s birthday party or son or daughter’s anniversary celebration. You can bring food in to celebrate or, in many communities, enjoy the same delicious menu options available to residents.
- When you can’t be with family, take advantage of the computer areas in many of our communities. You can learn to email or video chat with loved ones and keep up with your grandkids on Facebook – maybe even learn to Skype on some of the latest technology. This interaction can be educational for you and fun for the whole family.
- Gather in one of your community’s comfortable lounges and watch a movie with your kids, grandkids and neighbors.
Happy New Year from Sonida Senior Living! As we embark on another year full of promise and hope, we look forward to serving you with the same high standards and quality of service you have come to expect.
*This post was originally published on Jan. 17, 2014 and has been edited and updated each year to include more ideas.
Stick with Your New Year’s Resolutions Today, Tomorrow and All the Way Through 2020
Since you’re eager to create a better you in the new year, here’s a plan that will help you succeed.
Find a community
If you’re a senior or caregiver looking for independent living, assisted living or memory care services for you or your loved one, contact us to schedule a tour or request information about a community near you.